Dr. Mary McCaffrey
Consultant Obstetrician – Gynaecologist
Dr. McCaffrey is a graduate of University College, Cork. She was appointed as Consultant Obstetrician/ Gynaecologist at Kerry General Hospital in 1998 and opened The Scotia Clinic (previously Scotia Women’s Clinic) in 2002.
Prior to that she was employed as Assistant Master at the Rotunda Hospital, Dublin and Lecturer in Obstetrics and Gynaecology with the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.
During her time at the Rotunda Hospital she worked in the IVF Unit and Sexual Assault Treatment Unit.
In the early 90’s Dr. McCaffrey worked in Northwick Park Hospital, London and played a lead role in starting a medical service for women suffering from Female Genital Mutilation.
She served as President of the Irish Hospital Consultants Association until 2007.
Her areas of special interest are Obstetrics/infertility/reproductive medicine, Menopause and vulvodynia.
Visiting Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist /Lead in Fetal Medicine at Rashid Latif Medical College, Arif Memorial Teaching Hospital/Hameed Latif Hospital, Lahore, Pakistan.
Elected member of Overseas committee of Royal College of Obstetrician and Gynaecologist since 2011.
1) Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist/ Lead in Fetal Medicine at William Harvey Hospital, Ashford, Kent, England.
2) Tem Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist with special interest in Fetal Medicine at University Hospital Kerry.
- Two consecutive twin and a singleton pregnancy in a patient with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia,JETO Vol 10 No 4 2014, oldcitypublishing.com/journals/jeto- home/jeto-issue-contents/jeto-volume- 10-number-4-2014/jeto-10-4-p-259-261/
- Restoring TRAIL mediated signalling in Ovarian Cancer Cells. Arch Immunol Ther Exp 17 July 2014. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25030086
- Ovarian Cancer: interplay of Vit D Signalling and miRNA action
4) Nip the HPV encoded evil in the cancer bud: HPV reshapes TRAILS and signalling landscapes. Cancer Cell International 2013,13:61 http://www.cancerci.com/content/13/1/61
5) Incidence of Hysterectomy after Transcervical resection of Endometrium, A five years audit. JRLMC Vol1, No 1 Jan-June 2012
6) Thromboprophylaxis; Pregnant women with High BMI,. Professional Med J June 2012:19(3)
1) NIPT, as a screening tool for Trisomy 21.Gynaecology and Fetomaternal Symposium 2015, Ziauddin Hospital University, Karachi, March 2015
2) Multiple Pregnancy: What should be the optimal management? 4th international Conference on Reproductive health and ART, Lahore, Pakistan 2013.
3) Indication and timing of Interventional procedures in Fetal Medicine, SAFOG Agra, INDIA 2013
4) Monochorionic Twin Pregnancy: An evidence based approach to management. Seminar on Fetal Maternal Medicine, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, 13th March 2010.
5) Second Trimester Amniocentesis, indication, complications and results. Presented at RCOG 8th International Scientific Meeting of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Abu Dhabi.7-9Dec 09.
6) Experience of Invasive procedure in high risk pregnancies in Pakistan, 3rd International Conference on Reproductive Health and ART 6-8 Feb 09.
7) Screening in Obstetrics, Updates in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, FMH College of Medicine and Dentistry, Fatima Memorial Hospital, Lahore, 5th April 08.
2013 I chaired and organised a workshop on interventional Ultrasound and Fetal Medicine in AGRA, India at SAFOG Conference.
2013, Recently I have organised two workshop on, 2nd Trimester Genetic sonogram and 2nd Trimester Basic Fetal echo-Cardiography at Hameed Latif Hospital ( Pre congress workshop)
In March 2007, I organised a workshop for Obstetrician on basic Fetal Echocardiography, in Lahore collaborating with Aloka Co- Ltd, Tokyo –Japan.
Dr. E. Scott Sills
(Center for Advanced Genetics – the IVF clinic, California, U.S.A.)
The Scotia Clinic is delighted to be able to avail of the expertise from Dr Scott Sills, California. Dr Scott Sills reviews the medical history of our complex fertility cases under our care. He is then in a position to offer his expertise in these cases. This is done via Skype.
Before returning to the United States, Dr. Scott Sills directed the research portfolio for Sims IVF (Dublin), where he lifted his faculty’s subspecialty output to a level surpassing that from all five Irish medical schools combined. Dr. Sills has been active in full-time clinical practice since completing his fellowship at Cornell University, where he worked under fertility pioneers Gianpiero Palermo and Zev Rosenwaks. He has published more than 100 scientific & policy papers and is among a select few IVF experts with works published in JAMA, The Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine, and BMJ. In 2016, Dr. Sills served as Editor for “Gestational Surrogacy: International Clinical Practice & Policy Issues”, published by Cambridge University Press.
Dr. Sills’ research on the advanced reproductive technologies has been presented before expert audiences in Africa, Asia, Europe, India, North and South America as well as the Middle East. Having directed investigative teams in Europe and the United States, Dr. Sills has discovered three human gene mutations since 2001. He organized the first joint fertility research collaborative involving Arab and Israeli IVF clinics in 2007, and accepted a Board of Regents licensure nomination to the New York State Board for Medicine the following year.
Board certified by the American Board of Obstetrics & Gynaecology and the National (USA) Board of Physicians & Surgeons, Dr. Sills holds elected Fellowships with the American College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists, American College of Surgeons, and the Royal College of Physicians (Ireland). He is licensed/registered for medicine in California, New York, and the United Kingdom.
Dr Fergus Leahy FRCPI, FRCP.LOND, FRCP.CAN, DCH.LOND, FCCP.U.S.MSC.PAED
- Providing consultations from newborn to teenager. Areas of special interest:
- Respiratory and newborn
- For appointments: please contact 066-7181100 for self-referral
Mr Tim Horgan FRCSI, FRCPI, DCH DO
- Providing Private eye care for eye conditions at the Clinic.
- For appointments please contact 066-7181100 for Self-referral
Dr Muhammad Haroon MB, MRCPI, NMedSc
Muhammad Haroon graduated in Medicine from King Edward Medical University Lahore in 1999. He completed his basic specialist training from Royal College of Physicians of Ireland through rotations in different University Hospitals before embarking on higher specialist training in Rheumatology. During these fellowship years, he was also a chief resident. He subsequently completed his dual fellowships in Rheumatology and Internal Medicine through Irish Committee on Higher Medical Training of Royal College of Physicians.
He undertook a period of research at St Vincent’s University Hospital Dublin under the supervision of Prof Oliver FitzGerald, and also with Prof Robert Winchester at Columbia University Medical Centre, New York, USA. He has developed a special interest in clinical and genetic research in Psoriatic Arthritis and Spondyloarthropathies.
He has authored so far, 46 peer-reviewed articles in international scientific Journals as a first author, and has presented >50 abstracts as first author in different national and international rheumatology meetings.
He also worked as a Staff Physician in Rheumatology Department, Bone and Joint Unit, St Vincent’s University Hospital Dublin. He then took up the post of Consultant Rheumatologist in the Department of Medicine at University Hospital Kerry and also served as a Clinical Senior Lecturer at University College Cork. He is the department of medicine research lead and is also a co-director of Research Committee of University Hospital Kerry. He has established the national Psoriatic Arthritis Registry of Ireland, which he serves as the national lead.
Research Paper of the Year – Annual Irish Healthcare Awards (Special Commendation) – November 2015
Young Investigator of the Year award 2013 – Irish Society for Rheumatology
Best Poster presenter award at Irish Society for Rheumatology Annual meeting October – 2013
No.1 in the Highest Ranking Abstracts at GRAPPA annual Symposium at Toronto, Canada – July 2013
Rheumatology Innovation Award 2013 by British Society for Rheumatology Birmingham, UK – April 2013
Best Poster Presenter award at Irish Society for Rheumatology annual meeting 2010
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Systemic Vasculitis
For appointments please contact 089 4079097
Mr Kevin McEleny
BM Bsc(Hons) Ph.D FRCS FRCS(Urol)
After completing a Ph.D at University College Dublin and training in the North East of England, Kevin was appointed as a Consultant Urologist in 2009. Since then, working with colleagues at Newcastle Fertility Centre, he has set up a large Male Fertility Service that treats patients from across the North of England and Northern Ireland, with advanced surgical sperm retrieval procedures, like Testicular Microdissection (MicroTESE) and Microsurgical Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (MESA), as well as other procedures like Microsurgical Vasectomy Reversal and Varicocele Ligation. He is actively involved in research and his current interests include genetics problems that could affect male fertility and the psycho-social experiences of couples affected by azoospermia. Kevin is Chair of the British Fertility Society’s Training and Education committee and has set up a successful Male Fertility Training Program.
Working with Repromed Ireland, Kevin is delighted to offer these procedures to couples in Ireland and for convenience offers Skype and FaceTime consultations. The male fertility procedures are carried out in Dublin.